Styling an Angled Bob: Easy Everyday Tutorial


I love having short hair, but as I've said before and showed here the other day, I haven't always had it. I've come to love short hair because although I have to style it every day, there are only a few options and it's quick. My hair dries quickly, and my styling time is minimal—especially on the days when I don't shower.

When I decided to go for the big chop, I was excited, but I didn't know much about styling short hair. What products should I use? What tools? I asked my stylist and she gave me a few ideas. After having a variation of this cut for about two years now, I think I have it pretty well figured out. Today I'm sharing how I style my hair almost every day. 

Everyday styling tutorial for a short angled bob- easy tips and step by step instructions

First what tools to use? I use my blow dryer (nothing noteworthy about it) and my flat iron (Chi brand) daily. I also use three brushes/combs: a round bristle brush, a small paddle brush, and a teasing comb. I found the teasing comb at Sally's Beauty Supply and it works so much better for teasing than just a fine tooth comb. 

The products that I use are all Big Sexy Hair brand. I have a normal amount of fine hair, and on its own, there isn't a lot of volume. I do everything I can to bump it up. I love to use this volumizing treatment in the shower a couple of times a week. The Big Altitude Bodifying Blow Dry Mousse and Big Sexy Spray and Play Hairspray are the two products I use daily. I also love their dry shampoo for days when I don't shower. 

Everyday styling tutorial for a short angled bob- easy tips and step by step instructions

I go against the trend and shower almost every day. I try to work out in the mornings, so I'd rather just start clean. If I don't shower, I will use dry shampoo and usually curl my hair like this (but usually quicker and less perfectly!). Today's tutorial is starting after just washing my hair. 

Everyday styling tutorial for a short angled bob- easy tips and step by step instructions

I start by rubbing in a handful of mousse at my roots. The can sprays out a little and it grows—so beware! This palm full is more than enough, but it helps to concentrate at the roots and then spread it down the shaft. Then, I clip the top half of my hair up.

Everyday styling tutorial for a short angled bob- easy tips and step by step instructions

I use my round brush to blow dry the shorter bottom layers of my hair. They tend to stick out like crazy if I don't tame them with the blow dryer. The flat iron has a hard time getting to them. 

Everyday styling tutorial for a short angled bob- easy tips and step by step instructions

After drying my bottom layer, I unclip the top and flip my head upside down to blast my roots. This is where the root volume happens. I get the roots dry and the rest of my hair about 65% dry while I'm flipped over.

Everyday styling tutorial for a short angled bob- easy tips and step by step instructions

When I stand back up, I use my hands and my round brush to dry the rest of my hair thoroughly. The round brush helps in the back and to smooth my hair as it dries.

Everyday styling tutorial for a short angled bob- easy tips and step by step instructions

Once my hair is all dry, I clip the top half up again. It's time to use the flat iron. Sometimes I spray on a heat protectant, but I've heard mixed reviews about how much they help, so it isn't a must for me.

Everyday styling tutorial for a short angled bob- easy tips and step by step instructions

I use my flat iron to flatten and slightly curl the bottom half of my hair under. Typically, I don't hairspray the lower layer before I let the rest out of the clip.

Everyday styling tutorial for a short angled bob- easy tips and step by step instructions

Using the flat iron, I flatten the rest of my hair in about one- or two-inch sections all over. I try to get it almost straight with a tiny curve in towards my face. Next, it's time for more volume: teasing my roots.

Everyday styling tutorial for a short angled bob- easy tips and step by step instructions

I use my teasing comb to backcomb my roots in three-inch sections around my part. For the first layer (number 1), I backcomb a section on each side of my part starting in the front, another section on either side of my part in the middle of my head, and another two or three on the back of my head. Next, I do one section deeper (2) under each of the sections I have already teased. The result is a little crazy, but clearly more voluminous.

Everyday styling tutorial for a short angled bob- easy tips and step by step instructions

After teasing, I hairspray at the roots while lifting with my fingers and holding for several seconds afterwards to let it dry a bit. My hair tends to fall throughout the day, so the higher it starts, the better. After I spray, I take my round brush and very lightly brush over the top layer of hair to smooth things out and take away the mess while keeping the volume.

Everyday styling tutorial for a short angled bob- easy tips and step by step instructions

If I'm really going all out, I'll use a shine spray to finish up. I have used many of them, and they're all the same to me. This styling takes me about 15 minutes. It does take some practice, but it isn't hard and I love it as my everyday style. Having the right tools and products is a must, although everyone's hair is different. The products that work for me may not work for you. 

If I want to revive my hair at the end of the day, I will flat iron the front pieces again and use my hair spray to bring a little body back. You can keep this same look the next day by using some dry shampoo, or you can change things up and curl it. 

Everyday styling tutorial for a short angled bob- easy tips and step by step instructions

Everyday styling tutorial for a short angled bob- easy tips and step by step instructions

Everyday styling tutorial for a short angled bob- easy tips and step by step instructions

It's hard to imagine going back to long hair after this easy and chic cut. I really love having limited options for styling my hair because I love my everyday look. 

Everyday styling tutorial for a short angled bob- easy tips and step by step instructions

If I forgot anything or if you have any other questions, feel free to ask!
What is your go-to style every day? What are your favorite products? I love to try new products and especially love recommendations!

Comments

  1. I LOVE Big Sexy Hair! Have you tried Powder Play? Most amazing thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your right I use this and it. Lifts and don't get dull from the powder

      Delete
  2. i have the same cut as you and i LOVE it. i don't think i'll ever go back to long hair. but, i have been looking for a product that will help volumize a little better. i will definitely be giving the big sexy hair products a try. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same style and love it! I use basically the same products :). I do have a question... How do you keep it out of your face al day? I tend to tuck it behind my ears or clip it up when doing dishes, laundry, cleaning..you know everyday life :). Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your hair!! Root pump plus in the Big Sexy line also awesome for volume. Spray it on your roots and that's it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love for you to do a tutorial on how you do your makeup and share your products with us. Your make up is simple and gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! That picture of you after teasing is the BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! Seriously, I think you've inspired a zillion people to chop their hair because yours always looks so stinkin' cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I second for the tutorial on make-up ! I know you mostly use the Naked 2 palette, but I'm curious which shades you superpose to get your everyday look.

    Love your hair by the way !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tutorial Kilee; I LOVE your haircut and color. I have med/long blond hair but want to cut it short like this for the summer...probably not daring enough to go for the ombre look but I adore it on you! I want to put up the third nomination for a makeup tutorial b/c I have also noticed how well done it is and I'm always looking for new ideas. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your hair. Great tutorial on how to style it!
    xo
    Alyssa
    www.alyssabarnettbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous hair and makeup!! :)

    www.prudentmummy.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tips! I've had my hair cut like this in the past, and I'm thinking of doing it again, so I'm definitely pinning this:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kilee, you're too cute! I love your ombre and short hair! Thanks so much for linking up to the Be.You.Tiful Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is perfect! I have the same 'do and can never get it quite how it looks when I walk outta the salon. Thanks for the tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Girl, this looks fantastic!! It reminds me of what I do with my hair when it's THAT short. I think you've just inspired me to go short again...so thanks!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have this cut but with bangs, and my hair is very thin. These are the products that I use. After I wash my hair and take towel out I put in Designline pumped thickening cream, then Redken guts 10, then hold hair up at crown and spray at roots Generic volumizing root lifter, then comb your hair out and then re-spray at crown again then style with round brush and hair dryer. Then tease at crown and at back of head at crown then style and I spray with hairspray to keep style in all day. Sometimes before styling I use Designline interrupt texturizing clay then style hair and spray. These products work good and I have tried a lot of products. I love this cut I have had it a long time and different versions of it. It is a good look for you very cute on you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the cut you have! How often do you have to go in for a trim?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I usually have it trimmed every 6-7 weeks.

      Delete
  19. When do you use the small paddle brush?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this tutorial - I have nearly the same cut but much thicker hair and much curlier... I struggle with the back/and bottom/sides b/c when I use the round brush to blow dry straight, they get straight, yes, but they stick out from my head at a seriously 90 degree angle! LOL. So... i often end up letting those lower pieces stay curly and just let them get hidden under the other layers. Dislike but I don't know what else to do - even my stylist said it's super hard for her and she's coming at it from a different angle which should make it easier for her. Love the cut though and I don't know whether I'm going back either! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your hair! I subscribe to your posts just to see your hair.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I take it those products don't leave your hair feeling silky. I just got a cut very similar to yours and I am unhappy with the feel that volumnizing products are giving my hair. Any suggestions for peoducts that don't leave the roots feeling crunchy? Thankou! You are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great tutorial Kilee; I LOVE your haircut and color. I have med/long blond hair but want to cut it short like this for the summer...probably not daring enough to go for the ombre look but I adore it on you! I want to put up the third nomination for a makeup tutorial b/c I have also noticed how well done it is and I'm always looking for new ideas. Thanks!!
    hotmail iniciar sesiĆ³n
    registrarse hotmail
    hotmail iniciar sesion

    ReplyDelete
  24. KILEE,
    I just cut my own hair in the same style a few days ago. I love it. I'm still trying different products but will definitely try your suggestions. I have been a barber for 29 years so im around different product all the time..
    Anyhow you look amazing hun & I'm really enjoying reading everything you have to say..& you have 5 boys!! God Bless you & yours.
    Quite an inspiration. Thank You

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!

Popular Posts