DIY Leather Pockets- Knit Dress Refashion

Add your own leather pockets to a knit dress for an on trend refashion this Fall!

A huge trend this Fall is leather- leather details, leather jackets, leather pants and even accessories. Besides blogging, you know I run an Etsy shop called ONE little BELT where we sell leather belts for babies and toddlers. I also sell cuffs and other leather jewelry here. Because of our businesses, we happen to have a lot of leather scraps laying around and we are always looking for ways to use them. I saw this photo a few weeks back and knew I had to add my own leather pockets to a dress! It was surprisingly easy and I'm going to show you how to do it too!

First you need to find the right knit dress. I think a solid would also work great. You could try a printed dress if you want to get crazy. You could do a maxi or a mini, but I found one that was pretty similar to the one in the photo. (Mine is from H&M.) Next find your leather or PU leather. Check out your local fabric store for faux leather or maybe even some real leather. We got ours from a leather store which sells scraps for pretty cheap. Garment weight is ideal, but really whatever feels right to you will work.

Add your own leather pockets to a knit dress for an on trend refashion this Fall!

photo Add your own leather pockets to a knit dress for an on trend refashion this Fall!

Next choose your pocket size. I cut some first and then realized that I wanted them much bigger! The size I ended up with was 5.5 x 7 inches. My husband helped me cut them because I have issues with measuring and cutting straight lines. We used a rotary cutter to cut it. 

Add your own leather pockets to a knit dress for an on trend refashion this Fall!

Be sure to clean up the edges with some scissors for a cleaner cut. 

Add your own leather pockets to a knit dress for an on trend refashion this Fall!

Because I was sewing thick-ish leather to a knit, I backed it with heavy interfacing. Just cut the interfacing the same size or a little bigger than the leather. Then pin the leather and the interfacing in place. The leather goes on the outside and the interfacing goes on the inside.

Add your own leather pockets to a knit dress for an on trend refashion this Fall!

I used my regular sewing machine and needle for this project. I used a long straight stitch and went very slowly. Sew down each long side and then the bottom of the pocket. I didn't do a perfect job and got a little bit of bunching, but the pocket still lays flat enough that I didn't bother unpicking it. 

Add your own leather pockets to a knit dress for an on trend refashion this Fall!

After I sewed both pockets in place I turned the dress inside out and you can see where I sewed the interfacing. And you can see how NOT PERFECTIONIST I am. I cut off the excess interfacing and turned it right side out. 

Add your own leather pockets to a knit dress for an on trend refashion this Fall!

And that is it! The hardest part is getting the placement right and making sure you sew the pockets down flat. I am really happy with the result! It adds just the right touch to this dress and goes great with my cuff! I styled this dress with tall black boots, tights and a military jacket. I can't wait to wear it more this Fall and Winter!

Add your own leather pockets to a knit dress for an on trend refashion this Fall!

Add your own leather pockets to a knit dress for an on trend refashion this Fall!]

Add your own leather pockets to a knit dress for an on trend refashion this Fall!

Add your own leather pockets to a knit dress for an on trend refashion this Fall!

I'd love for you to stop over and check out my DIY hexagon elbow patches and no-sew knit vest tutorials for other Fall style project inspiration!




Comments

  1. Very cool idea & great execution! Now I really want to put leather pockets on everything. Perfect to slip your phone in :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been toolin' around your blog today (found via Pleated Poppy, btw) and I gotta tell you - you are the most adorable, fun, cool dresser! You have a great style, and hopefully you know this. Also, your hair? Love...perfect on you. Anyway, happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had your talent! That is such a great idea and you worked it!

    Show off your look, get inspired and link up at Whatcha Wearing Wednesday! www.themummychronicles.com

    L,
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun project!

    Looks great on your dress. I'm not quite sure I'd be brave enough to add pockets to one of my dresses, but I love the addition of a bit of leather. It really keeps thing current.

    ~FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun idea! I love the idea of adding a little touch of leather somewhere. It's such a great trend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dropping by from WIWW linkup! I love this refashion! Such a cool idea to add leather to something you already own!

    <3 Vicki
    wildeinthecity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cute! I'm not really a perfectionist either, I totally get that! Such a fun idea, to add little details to things. I need to try it on something now! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woww... It looked even cooler after you did modifying it! What a talent :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cute! I have been wanting to add some leather details to something and a dress is the perfect choice. I'll definitely be trying this. Love it!
    Tiffany
    www.stylestealsandstilettos.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful dress, you should buy a very good quality replica Celine Bags to suit, it will make you much more shinning.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!

Popular Posts