Sunday Style - Bad Habits and Some Good Plaid


Bright, bold plaid skirt and glitter heels


Bright plaid midi skirt, white sweater and glitter heels

Bright plaid midi skirt, white sweater and glitter heels

Bright plaid midi skirt, white sweater and glitter heels

Bright plaid midi skirt, white sweater and glitter heels

I always love plaid in the fall, so when I found this skirt while thrifting a while back I was instantly drawn to it. It isn't traditional by any means, but the fresh and bold print is exciting to me, and I decided it was worth taking a risk on. If you know me, you know I don't often pull out the bright prints or something really different from my typical outfits. It is really easy for me to have my comfortable or automatic clothing preferences. I wear a version of the same outfit day in and day out like a bad habit.

Lately I've been realizing more and more how easy it is to get stuck in a pattern of choices. Whether it's what I wear or what I say or how I react, everything I do is some kind of habit. And they happen whether you mean for them to or not.When I was in counseling for an eating disorder in college, I remember working with a counselor to change my thinking patterns. I had to very intentionally work on changing and replacing my thought patterns, and it was hard. But it worked. And I'm glad I learned that skill because I think I'm going to need it again.

In the last few months I've allowed myself to develop unhappy habits of worrying, being really critical of everyone, and reacting defensively to most people, especially my husband. With our new business and the changes of our day to day life that have come with that, it's easy to see how those habits have developed - but it doesn't excuse them. These patterns have been making me pretty miserable and it just feels terrible. Especially when I know logically that life is so good!

Thankfully, I know I'm on the right track with the new habits I mentioned earlier this week, and I think I'll have to add thought replacement to that list too. How do you get out of bad thought patterns? What helps you change how you react?

P.S. Heads up - these Cobalt Suede earrings are the earring of the month for only two more days! They are only $16 until Sept. 30. Grab them while you have the chance!



// Outfit Details //
Shirt - Old Navy
Skirt - Thrifted
Shoes - Thrifted (Steve Madden)
Bracelet - Paparazzi
Earrings - Nickel & Suede

Comments

  1. Ok, well, second time I have posted this comment because I guess I need to figure out how to actually do it! But anyways, I have said these same words about myself lately. I don't have nearly as much on my plate as you do but I can relate to the feeling of frustration you can get with yourself when logically you can see this great situation that is more than you could ever ask for but getting your feelings to catch up to your head is just not as clear. My counselor has been having me answer a list of questions in my journal about various situations so I can see them more clearly (I started seeing a counselor because m sweet husband was getting the brunt of my bad attitude). Anyways, I guess what I am trying to say is good luck and you aren't alone! It is really good to see these things in yourself and work on changing them for the better- a lot of people will go their whole lives just getting by. I never want to just survive, I want to thrive and it's obvious that you do too! That's what life is all about right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so great. I love that you said that you're counselor said that it is our choice, it's tough, but it's in our hands. I think so much of the world today blames everything everywhere else. It's hard, but it's so good to do our best to take control of our thoughts and actions. Good for you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am totally with you!! i have been developing some bad habits recently that I seriously need to kick...

    on a separate note... you are ROCKING that skirt, kilee!! beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!

Popular Posts