Getting Organized- The Kids


If you missed it last week, I'm on a mission to get life organized. Last week I organized my closet and my makeup drawer and these last few weeks I've been working on getting my kids organized. I'm not talking about organizing toys or labeling shelves and bins in their room. Rather, I've been working on creating a schedule for them to help them get their tasks done and have them help me more.

It's important to Soren and I to have our kids learn how to work and to pitch in around the house. We've struggled with anything consistent in that regard so this is my first strong effort in that direction. We want our kids to work and our kids want to earn money so a job chart was a great place to start helping the kids gain new habits and routines. (I've also created lists for myself and Soren and we didn't want to leave the kids out.)



For each boy I made a list of things they needed to do every morning and night. They differed a little based on age and ability, but Easton and Kesler are so close in age that the charts are mostly the same. (Easton is 6 in First Grade and Kesler is 5 and starts Kindergarten in the Fall.) You can see the charts below.



        



Kesler can't read yet, so after I printed his list I drew little pictures next to each task to help him figure them out. I didn't make this a big list of jobs, but instead some tasks that they do already and others that we wanted added in. The papers go in a plastic sleeve, taped on the back of their door and they cross each task off with a magic marker as they do it each day. They check in with us at the end of the day and then wash it clean for the next morning. If they do all of their list for the week they get paid $2.50 on Saturdays with the potential of doing extra jobs during the week to earn more money. 

We've done this for three weeks so far and while it hasn't been perfect, things have gone much better than they used to! Having the kids empty the dishwasher for me in the mornings makes it so easy for me to load it up all day long and then run it at night. The boys picking up 15 things each at the end of the day lessens the number of things I have to pick up. (And no, 15 little Legos don't count!) They are also required to put away their laundry so I'm motivated to get it folded for them in anticipation of their job. 

This last week we fell off the wagon a little bit and the kids didn't do their jobs everyday. They either didn't get up early enough or didn't do them after school. And so they only got paid $1 each. They were bummed, but they knew they didn't meet the requirements so it made sense to them. This plan does require everyone to stay on target and work together which I love, but if I fall apart, they do too. So we are learning and are back at it again this week. What I love is that we can keep modifying the list or the plan as new challenges arrive, but the most important thing will be consistency.

How do you help your kids with a routine and jobs? Any tips for making things even better? Check out last week's organization post here and stay tuned for next week when I share all of my new lists and plans for me!


Comments

  1. My husband broke up with me last week, i was so frustrated and i could not know what next to do again, i love my husband so much but he was cheating on me with another woman and this makes him broke up with me so that he can be able to get marry to the other lady and this lady i think use wirchcraff on my husband to make him hate me and my kids and this was so critical and uncalled-for,I cry all day and night for God to send me a helper to get back my man until i went to NY to see a friend and who was having the same problem with me but she latter got her Husband back and i asked her how she was able to get her husband back and she told me that their was a powerful spell caster in Africa name Dr.Unity that he help with love spell in getting back lost lover back and i decided to contacted the same Dr.Unity and he told me what is needed to be done for me to have my man back and i did it although i doubted it but i did it and the Dr told me that i will get the result after 48hours, and he told me that my husband was going to call me by 9pm in my time and i still doubted his word, to my surprise my husband really called me and told me that he miss me so much, Oh My God i was so happy, and today i am happy with my man again and we are joyfully living together as one good family and i thank the powerful spell caster Dr.Unity of Unityspelltemple@gmail.com , he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that good spell casters still exist and Dr.Unity is one of the good spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are there and your lover is turning you down, or you have your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore contact the powerful spell caster Dr.Unity on his email: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com and he will answer you, i am a living testimony and i will continue to testify of his goodness in my family,he turn my family to paradise and today we are all happy together Dr.Unity i say thank you in one million times thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kilee, in response to the previous comment. I see these 'spell caster' things pop up everywhere on the internet. I don't know if they are a joke or not but I don't see how they have a place on your blog and quite honestly they are not in the least bit relevant to getting kids more organised.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS I also meant to say I really enjoy your take on motherhood, family life and fashion!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was a kid, there was no collaboration; it's you with a camera bossing your friends around. But as an adult, filmmaking is all about appreciating the talents of the people you surround yourself with and knowing you could never have made any of these films by yourself.
    kratom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!

Popular Posts