How To Patch Holes in Distressed Denim










I've had a love affair with ripped jeans for years. I love the toughness and the edge they can add to an outfit and I've been know to chop up, slice or rip many a pair of jeans. But every once and a while I'll come across a pair of distressed jeans that I LOVE, but the gaping holes just go too high up on the thigh. I love a gaping knee hole, but mild distressing on the upper leg is what I prefer. So what to do if you already own a pair with a big hole? Or what to do about these amazing boyfriend jeans from BLANKNYC that also have a thigh hole? It's easy. In today's tutorial I'll show you how I patch my overly distressed jeans in just a few steps- and with only two supplies! 


Materials Needed: Distressed Jeans (These are the specific ones I used.)
Old pair of jeans in a similar color
Fabric glue- Liquid Stitch



1. Identify the holes. The knee holes in these are perfect, but that thigh hole is a problem.

2. Find a pair of jeans you are willing to cut up. This might mean turning a pair of your or your kids' jeans into cut-offs or finding an old pair in your donate pile.

3. You'll want the scrap of denim that you find to be similar to the wash of the jeans you are patching. As you can see above the denim scrap I grabbed is not a perfect match, but its very similar. 

4.  I likethe backside of the denim patch to be what shows through the hole. It's usually slightly lighter and the denim details are muted. It seems to blend in better.

5. Flip the jeans inside out. Cut your patch to fit the entire hole.

6. Grab your Liquid Stitch and start spreading glue. I cut my patch to cover the entire hole, but I'm not applying glue to any of the distressed area. The glue only goes on the fabric that hasn't been shredded.

7. Place the patch on the glue. Make sure the corners are glued as well. 

8. Turn the pants right side out and dab glue on any areas around the inside of the hole that didn't get enough glue. I can still fit my fingers between the patch and those distressed strings. That makes the patch blend in more. You don't want all of the shredded strings to be stiff and stuck. 

9. Allow the glue to dry and you are done! This patch WILL hold up to the washer and the dryer. This glue has held up really well for me, but if any part of it ever starts to come apart just dab on a little more glue and you will be good to go!

Like I said, I do love distressed denim so don't go patching ALL of the holes. But now you don't have to stress out if you do need to fill in a hole or two. I bought my fabric glue at Walmart and now that I have it on hand patching jeans is just a five minute project. Let me know if you have any questions and happy patching! 


Comments

  1. Great outfit and DYI! Love the sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial!! I was worried it would involve sewing! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that there is no sewing! Glue a patch on? I can do that! LOL And I have a pair of shorts that I just LOVE but the hole is in the same spot as yours - just a touch too high on the thigh. Thanks for this! It's drying now so hopefully it will be just perfect. :-) Did you wash them before wearing after the glue was dried? Or could I just wear them after it's been dry?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!

Popular Posts