Two Simple Ways to Style a Statement Jacket



I've always been a shoe gal, but I've slowly been morphing into a jacket person too. I love a pretty jacket and the band jacket I'm styling today is probably my favorite one to date. I just love it. It's so unique and detailed and statement making. However, those same qualities might be the reason you wouldn't buy it. What do you do with something so pretty and special? How do you wear it and not look like Christopher Columbus or a member of some colonial army? 

Shop the Post

















I've always been a shoe gal, but I've slowly been morphing into a jacket person too. So today we are talking shoes AND jackets! I love a pretty jacket and the band jacket I'm styling today is probably my favorite one to date. I just love it. When I found it as part of the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale it was an instant must have for me. It's so unique and detailed and statement making. However, those same qualities might be the reason you would think twice about buying it. What do you do with something so pretty and special? How do you wear it and not look like Christopher Columbus or a member of some colonial army? 

Today I've styled it two ways and it all comes back to basics. A simple tee, a great pair of pants and the right shoes. My favorite way to style it is the first look you see which is a white v-neck tee, slightly distressed denim and peep toe booties. Everything about this look tones down the fanciness of the jacket. The booties are especially perfect because they show some skin, have a brown stacked heel (more casual) and have great height to coordinate with the dressy level of the jacket. 

Another way to style a velvet jacket like this is with all black. I would go with a v-neck tee instead of crew neck like you see above (my v-neck didn't arrive in time for pics). A black v-neck, black jeans (love the hem on these) and simple black sandal heels. The key to this look is showing skin at the top (v-neck) and the bottom (strappy sandals). 

To keep this jacket  fresh I would stay away from styling it with any combination of tall boots, khakis or a white button up. ;) That being said a white blouse would also look great with this jacket- as long as you went casual with denim on the bottom and some kind of heeled sandal shoe.


 Some helpful fit details...

JACKET- Fits TTS. I'm wearing a size small. This one is not heavy or stiff and it's really easy to move in. None of the details are scratchy and it's definitely a true black velvet. Still in stock in all sizes.

TEE- This exact tee is sold out, but I've linked a super similar one for under $20. A v-neck is my favorite neckline to pair with a jacket. I even ordered a black one and would have worn it above had it arrived in time for photos. 

BLUE JEANS- This ones are part of the Anniversary Sale and did sell out quickly. I'll still link them here in hopes they restock at some point. They do fit big. I sized down once and they still stretched out. I think I could have sized down twice. But I do love the "girlfriend" fit which is basically a cross between skinnies and baggier boyfriend jeans.

BLACK JEANS- These jeans fit like a dream. They may be my favorite black jeans ever. Size up as they do fit on the small side. 

PEEP TOE SHOES- These were unexpected winners for me. I was really sold once I saw them on. I love the peep toe, but the slit at the ankle and the cut-out heel all really add up to a pretty shoe that will wear well in all seasons. They fit TTS and don't feel as tall as they look. See below for a photo of the stitching details which is hard to tell in the black. They also come in gray and taupe.



I hope that helps if you purchased the jacket or have had it in mind but we're sure how to style it. This styling would really work with any velvet jacket or another jacket with a lot of details. If it doubt, go with a loose white tee, distressed denim and heels. :)


Comments

  1. You absolutely styled this to perfection.

    www.underaytedray.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Need a jacket like this in my life!
    XO,
    Priyanjana

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!

Popular Posts