How I Shop

Over the last five years my shopping habits have evolved. Blogging has had a lot to do with the mechanics of how I shop, but so has working and adding more kids to our family and technology advances too. When I only had two kiddos and Nickel & Suede wasn't even an idea yet, I loved to pop into the thrift store, Target and Old Navy and browse the clearance racks. TJ Maxx was a favorite too. It was my exciting outing of the week and I really did love finding gems in the sale or resale selections. 

Shop The Post












However, over the next few years Soren and I started N&S and we began working from home together. We added Knox and Baker to the family and things got so busy that online ordering began to be my only solution- like for all of our needs. Amazon became my new best friend because I could get diapers and toothpaste or toilet paper without leaving the house. I started ordering groceries online too. I just didn't and don't have the time to browse in-store. I also started ordering more and more clothes online.

Now I almost never shop in-store anymore and all of my clothes come from places that are easy to order and return things to- and are places that I can easily refer you guys to. When I shopped at thrift stores or off of my local clearance rack it was really hard to recommend anything specific to my readers. I realized I needed to start shopping for things that were available to purchase online with ease because you guys are just as busy as I am. 

Nordstrom has become one of my favorite places to shop because of their easy shopping app, quick free shipping and easy free returns. Plus they have such a large variety of items that I can almost always find something that I am looking for. 

But, because they have such a large selection, I think Nordstrom can be a little overwhelming. It was for me at first. However, I've learned over the years that there are very easy ways to filter the items to find what you want. My favorite way to narrow things down is to start by narrowing down the brands. There are certain brands that I love that are typically at a lower price range, on trend and usually well made. I often start looking there. Those brands include Lush, BP, Topshop, Leith and more. I also love that Nordstrom carries limited selections from Madewell and J. Crew. Almost my entire outfit today is from the BP brand at Nordstrom. 

I will also narrow my filters down by price range, size and style. Looking for the shoes above I narrowed my shoe selection down by going to "Women's Shoes" and narrowing it down to style "booties" and then price range "0-$100". These boots are real leather, under $90 and are a great classic style to wear with everything from button downs to sweaters to skirts. 


See below for fit details on the items above.
CARDIGAN- This cardigan is really soft and fits oversized. I'm wearing an XS and it fits really well. I love the green color but it also comes in Burgundy, Black and Oatmeal. It's also under $50. This sweater doesn't act like it will snag at all, but I wouldn't dry it in the dryer- just air dry to keep it looking nice for longer.
TEE- This tee also fits oversized and I'm wearing and XS. It's really long, which I love, almost long enough for leggings. The tee is only $19 which makes it a great inexpensive layering item. I am not wearing a tee under it and it's not too sheer. 
JEANS- These jeans are some of my favorite black jeans, and they are on sale. They are a little pricey, but they STAY black, they don't stretch out, and they will look good forever. I normally wear them TTS. Today I sized up and used a belly band. ;) This pair is also the best pair of black jeans ever and they are on sale too. Size up in these. 
BOOTS- These boots are a great price for real leather and a classic look. They fit TTS. I also tried them in black but ended up preferring the brown. The heel is just the right height for everyday wear if you like boots with a heel. 
CLUTCH- This one doesn't really have fit details, but I can speak to the cool texture of the fabric and the cute leopard print insides. I love the print this adds to any outfit- especially for only $25. 

It will be fun to see how technology and different times of life continue to change how we do things- including how we shop. Instagram just launched a shopping feature to limited brands (including Nickel & Suede) that allows followers to shop just by clicking a pic. Instagram stories and FB have also made it easier and easier to shop online. I'm thankful for all of those things as a blogger, a business owner and a busy mom and I sure hope that what I do helps you too.

Do you still shop in store often? Do you prefer the online or in person shopping experience?

*Thank you to Nordstrom for sponsoring this post. As always all clothing, styling and opinions are my own. 

Comments

  1. Love this outfit! The green looks really sharp with the stripes and black jeans. I started following fashion blogs earlier this year and began shopping online a lot more. However my size has been changing so I have defaulted to in store shopping again while I figure out the right sizes. Online shopping is so much more convenient, although returning can be a hassle some places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this list is helpful to many people who are confused to find shopes and brand.they can also try online shopping macy's insite

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!

Popular Posts