Headband Curls: Tutorial


Headband Curls can work for short hair too- How To Make Them Work For You!

A few weeks ago I mentioned that I had tried headband curls on my short hair. I saw this how-to and decided that I would try it, even though I’ve only seen it on medium to long hair.

Supplies: Headband (elastic or cotton, no grips)
              Straightening iron
              Hairspray

To give you an idea, this is my starting point and a shot of my haircut. I blew dry my clean hair until it was 90% dry in the morning. I have also done this at night and let it air dry 90%, wrapped it and then slept on it.

IMG_7446b

Place the headband on top of your hair around the crown as pictured. If you have bangs, place it under your bangs.I tried to create a little volume on top with the headband to prevent the roots from gluing to my head.

           IMG_7447b   IMG_7450b

Starting with the front section of hair, wrap it over and around the band, pulling it through. I’d recommend a one inch section to start. The smaller the sections, the tighter and more curls there will be. Wrap the hair loosely.

Then add another section of hair to the first piece that was pulled through. Pull the whole section through another time. Continue around the head, adding more hair each time you wrap.

          IMG_7452b   IMG_7454b

When you get to the back continue to wrap the whole piece around the band until it is all wrapped. Then start on the other side in the front and work your way back with the other half of your hair.

IMG_7457b

This is how it will look when you are all finished. Because my hair is the back is so short, my hair doesn’t fill the whole band. The more hair you have, obviously the fuller it will be.

             IMG_7462b   IMG_7463b

Now wait. I left mine in for 2.5 hours while I did things around the house and friends came over for playgroup (I’m sure they were wondering about my new do!).  Sleeping on it works too, but the top of your hair will have some bedhead to deal with.

Once you have waited a few hours, start in the back and slowly uncurl each section from the band. You can see in the second shot what it looks like right after taking the band out. (Including the line on my forehead. It will go away!)

            IMG_7484b   IMG_7485b

Because of my short hair, I thought the top and back looked too much like helmet head to leave it like that. I went back in with my flat iron and curled the top sections and the back. It only took a few minutes and I finished with hair spray.

IMG_7494b

Now you are done! You get a loose wave/curl with almost no heat and little effort. The hardest part is waiting! The curls stayed put better than if they had been heat curled, especially when I slept with the band in. I would recommend trying it! It took much less time than my typical curled hair.

IMG_7512b

Have you tried no-heat headband curls??

IMG_7506b

I’d love to hear how this works for you!


Comments

  1. What a great idea!! I've never seen this headband curl tutorial before and will definitely need to try it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to give this a try. :) Thanks for the great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this on pinterest and thought it wouldn't work, but I might have to give it a try and see, looks pretty effortless.

    Visiting from Whimsically Homemade!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen this done on short hair before and it turned out great! My hair is a little but longer than yours in the back so I want to try this out now. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so excited to try this! I've never seen this technique before... maybe it will work on my chin-length, ridiculously straight, stubborn hair :) I'm pinning this! Thanks, Kilee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so trying this!! Although I have curly clown hair so I'm not sure how well it will work on mine :) It looks super cute on you {so does the short hair, makes me want to cut mine}! I'm crossing my fingers you'll share this at my Throwback Thursday party :) I hope to see you there and thank you so much for sharing! http://www.hubbymademe.com/throwback-thursday-no-12/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and I'm pinning {and following, love your blog}! I created a new board just for you! :)

      Delete
  7. Just a thought, maybe if you had a scrap of fabric on your forehead, under the elastic, you wouldnt get the mark on your forehead? Will have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ive been watching lots of youtube video's on how to do it, but i have short hair and never thought it would work, but i guess im wrong, i will try this because it looks lovely on you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea! I will definitely be trying this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So fun! I use my straightening iron to get curls on my short hair. Never tried the elastic version, cool. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!

Popular Posts